Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Night in Bethlehem

Sunday night we journeyed very far...all the way to Messiah Lutheran Church off Telge and Cypress North Houston for their "Night in Bethlehem." It was very cool. We really enjoyed it.

Upon our arrival in Bethlehem, we were told that we needed to register for the census. So we did. We got our passports and off we went to explore Bethlehem.

Our first stop was the Story Telling tent. We had fun looking at the Jewish prayer shawl and trying to read and pronounce the Hebrew. We were quite rusty. Hmm if only I had the time to brush up....


After the story telling tent we stopped by the local weavers and felt the various furs avaliable: alpaca, dog, sheep, silk, etc.


Chad and Jude helped the weavers.



Next we stooped to make coin bags and the boys got two gold coins.


Shiloh was pleasantly surprised and gratified by the little boy handing out cookies...I tried to capture his dance.


And because Shiloh loves daddy he shared his cookie. Who knew they had oatmeal raisin cookies back when Jesus was born?


I didn't manage to get any good pictures at the passport inspection table where the boys picked out new Hebrew names nor did I get any good ones at the carpenters work place. But I managed to get a good one of Shiloh grinding herbs.


The boys really thought the incense rising was awesome.


Shiloh was thrilled with the candle stick he found in the inn at Bethlehem but we couldn't stay the night there was no room. And that pitcher looks just like one my mom had when I was little...


Chad tried to convince the boys to lay down but they would not.


Jude enjoyed his apple cider (again who knew they drank this?) while getting out his comb...why did he bring his comb? I have no clue.


After our apple cider we stopped and made clay pots (crayola molding clay) with fancy gems to put inside.

I wish I had a good picture of Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus, the Angel, and the Shepherds but I don't. I also missed getting a good one of the camel. Maybe next year. And maybe next year Jude will want to visit King Herod instead of bursting into tears...

All in all it was a great visit to Bethlehem. Thanks Messiah Lutheran.


No comments:

Post a Comment