Monday, March 2, 2015

Deactivation...

Sooooo....


I'm going to deactivate my Facebook and Instagram accounts. It has come to my attention that I may be slightly addicted to said social media accounts. I've known for a while that this is an area that I struggle with but I can come up with numerous reason that sound good as to why I should remain active in social media BUT enough is enough and for me I have come to the personal conviction for myself that I "know the right thing to do and failing to to it, for me it is sin (See James 4:17)."

Last night I came across this article on desiringgod.org and it was the last straw in my debate on whether to keep my accounts or not.

I have chosen Facebook and Instagram over God. Often. I am bored. Get on Facebook. I need connection with someone or something. Get on Instagram. I mess up. Get on Facebook. I need distraction. Get on Instagram.

My desires run deep but I've allowed my desires to lead me into temptation. James 1:14-15 says, "each one is tempted when by his own evil desire he is dragged away and enticed. Then when desire has conceived it gives birth to sin and sin when it is full grown gives birth to death." And 1 Peter 4:3, "You have already wasted enough time living like those outsiders in the society around you: losing yourselves in sex, in addictions and desires, in drinking and lawless idolatry, in giving your time and allegiance to things that are not godly."

Instead of turning to God, I have sought to satisfy my desires with social media. I am robbing myself and leading myself into death. I have deep longing for something more and I have a God who can fill to overflowing that desire but I continually chose something other than him - which is SIN. No more. I want to desire God and be full of him.

In the Old Testament the people of God sought idols and high places instead of God and in order to destroy that hold on them they had to tear down those places. I need to tear down the places that hold me captive - social media. 


Like the song "Give Us Clean Hands" based of Psalm 24:

We bow our Hearts
We bend our knees
Oh Spirit come make us humble
We turn our eyes from evil things
Oh Lord we cast down our idols


So give us clean hands
Give us pure hearts
Let us not lift our souls to another
Give us clean hands
Give us pure hearts
Let us not lift our souls to another


And God let us be
A generation that seeks
That seeks your face
Oh God of Jacob
And God let us be
A generation that seeks
That seeks your face
Oh God of Jacob


So Goodbye Facebook and Instagram. I cast you down. You will not be my idol. I will not lift my soul to you anymore. I will Seek the Face of My God, the Living God!

I will continue to blog. I love sharing stories with our friends and family who live far or who travel often. So if you want to stay connected in that way that would be awesome - but don't count on links from Facebook because there will not be any from me. I also have a phone and love to talk to people. And there is e-mail too. 




No comments:

Post a Comment