Friday, January 30, 2015

The Road to Recovery....

What a whirlwind of events we have had. Chad is home and is on his way to healing! All my prayer warriors out there keep praying - it is the best!

I left off my blog about Chad's pneumothorax with Chad in the hospital and things looking good for going home that first weekend. That did not happen. What did happen was a roller coaster especially for my emotions (and not being and overly emotional person - it was not a super fun ride - infact it was one of those that as you start the ride and the annoying clicking begins you curse yourself for getting on...).

On Sunday Chad's lung appeared to be fully inflated and they told us that if it remained the same that they would remove the chest tube on Monday and he could go home later that day. So I get to the hospital full of hope Monday and everything is going well. A doctor comes in and says yay we are going to remove the tube. The nurse brings the stuff for removal. I am beyond excited. And then another doctor comes in and say actually your lung still has a pneumothorax so we aren't taking the tube out. Hope crushed. Process to start over which in my mind pushed his release date to Wednesday or maybe Thursday.

Wednesday comes and there has been no change. So the doctors think there is a need for surgery and begin to discuss. We are told the surgeon will come that evening to talk to us about it. He never showed. However orders for the surgery were made. Hmmm I was none to pleased (I mean really? you should talk to the patient about surgery and what it is for and all that jazz before ordering it and scheduling it).

I got to the hospital as early as I could on Thursday and got there just in time to see Chad on the phone with the surgeon who was explaining the procedure (that was scheduled for 10 am - it was 9:20 am and they would have to take him in 10 min - not very much time to consider if we wanted the surgery done). Meanwhile the nurse informs us that this mornings x-ray showed his pneumothorax was gone...so obviously we thought well then no surgery...then a doctor wants more x-ray's to be sure the pneumothorax is gone. It wasn't. By this time it was 11 am. We decided to go ahead and do the surgery. We fill out paperwork and sign away our lives...

After waiting and waiting and waiting I ask the nurse has the surgery been rescheduled. She proceeded to blame us for not signing paperwork and deciding by 9:30 am to have the surgery, the surgeon is across town so it will be a couple of hours (I may have been slightly mad...). I think great. I will run home and feed the baby and come right back. I get to my parents house and Chad calls me to say, "they are taking me for surgery - right now." Again I may have been a little upset (if you received a text from me at this time please promptly delete said message...you know who you are). By the time I got to the hospital and to the surgery waiting room. The surgery had began. I asked the receptionist to make sure I would be informed when the surgery was over and that I'd like to talk with the surgeon after and be allowed to sit in the recovery room. I was told yes. Please take a seat. Some Guy I know showed up to sit with me - thanks! My dad also came - thanks!

After 2 hours I was starting to get a little nervous because I had not heard anything and it was just supposed to be an hour long surgery. The receptionist had disappeared and I was waiting to ask her when she got back. I was afraid to leave the room in case I missed the surgeon. I decided to check my email and had a message from a friend saying she was at the hospital and did I need anything. Then she sent me a message saying Chad just go back to his room, where was I?  Oh I don't know - maybe waiting to be told my husband was out of surgery and ok - again slightly angry...

Surgery went well. Things on track for tube removal on Saturday and then home. But as it would be the doctor was worried about a slight pneumothorax that remained. It wasn't until Sunday that we got the surgeon up to the hospital. He explained that the slight pneumothorax as a result of the surgery and nothing to be concerned about. He removed the tube, ordered an x-ray in two hours and said you can go home! Rejoice. Then the other doctor said no, I will come talk with you in the morning. I said yes, the surgeon said he was fine and could go. They said then you will have to sign a form saying you left against medical advise and by the way if you do your insurance will not cover any of you bills. I may have lost it, said some things I regret. But I apologized and then insisted the doctor talk to us right now. It happens that she was still concerned about the pneumothorax and had not talked with the surgeon and after doing so she released Chad. Yay!

What did I learn through all of this? A ton. And most I would rather have not :)

A couple of things I am glad to learn and/or reaffirm:
1. I love my Family! They are awesome so a shoutout to Granny, Charity, Christy, Dad, Mike, Karol and Justin for taking care of the kids for me!
2. I love my Church Family - y'all were my support, prayed for me, fixed me meals, helped me be strong - I am thankful.
3. I love all my friends who prayed for us and sent encouraging words my way!
4. I am thankful for all the doctors and nurses and hospital staff who helped Chad during this time (I may hate the system and have had several bad experiences but there were tons of people who were doing their job and were great at it).

Maybe later I can share some of the other lessons I learned...

No comments:

Post a Comment