Wednesday, August 6, 2014

PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you were to ask me what was my favorite part of our trip to Austin I would not even hesitate in answering PIZZA!

Pizza is soooo yummy! Especially when one makes it from scratch from start to finish. It is serious business. And it takes a long time. A long time with deliciously annoying smells because you have to wait.

I learned to make pizza! Since I was 16 I have wanted to learn the secrets behind the pizza Mr. Westerman makes. I would often spend the night on a Friday at Jennifer's house and her dad would make pizza and it was sooooo good! And I finally learned! Yay!

Saturday morning dawned early as every morning does around my house. We enjoyed coffee and breakfast outside. We did not enjoy the mosquitoes that joined us.


Jude and Shiloh waiting impatiently (that is the only way they wait) for breakfast.

After breakfast we headed to the Westerman Casa so I could learn to make pizza!


Shiloh made himself right at home. He did not want to go into the big house. He was too busy setting up his new home.


Complete with vehicle.

Once we finally made it in to the house. I passed of a fussy baby Asher to Chad (bless him). Dawned my apron complete with Loony Toon and began our 3 1/2 - 4 hour pizza making lesson.


The Master Chef, Mr. Westerman and Me.

We made everything from scratch. I learned lots of cool cooking tricks and tips. Did you know you can use the flat of your knife to squash garlic out and don't have to spend and hour peeling it? Ok maybe you did - I just missed this lesson somehow. Or if you leave the lid of when making sauce the steam will escape and your sauce with thicken or put the lid on to preserve the steam and have thinner, more watery sauce? Or the more oil you add to your dough mix the softer the crust will be (shoot I think...hmmm...). How to peel off oregano and basil leaves quickly. How to dice quickly without cutting yourself. Ahhh it was awesome! Mr. Westerman was a great teacher (for me - his own kids might not think so but then most kids don't learn so well from their parents and usually it is not due to the parent - I'm just saying...) and let me do everything after showing me and patiently answered my question. Yay.

I spent close to an hour when I got home writing down the recipe. I'd share it but then I'd have to kill you. Or more likely the the directions "add flour until it feels right" would make no sense and you'd kill yourself. But I understand them and can't wait to make my own pizza!



The boys went swimming while waiting for the pizza.


Working our dough. Even Caleb (11 or 12) got into the dough and he made his own tiny pizza.


Jude and Shiloh helped put the toppings on.


We cooked the pizza on the grill.


I successfully hooked the pizza and got it onto it's pan.


Yummy pizza.


Mr. Westerman sent me home with a pizza stone and a pizza peel so now I am all set for pizza making!


We watched the deer that came up.


Shiloh loved the deer. 


The boys played in the ball pit. Seriously the Westerman's have a ball pit. 

Jude and Shiloh did not want to leave. But alas they were not going to nap at that house so we headed back to the Aust-E house for rest time.

After rest time we decided to take a walk to a park close by (.5 mile). The park was across the street from HEB and we had noticed a redbox at the HEB and we wanted to have movie night. After playing at the park, we picked up our movie and headed back to the house. 


Jude walked to the park and to HEB.


Jude hitched a ride on the way back. Daddy was carrying Shiloh and the movie (don't judge - the straps on the baby carrier made holding on easy for Jude and nobody got strangled).

We ate left over pizza (so yummy) and watched the LEGO movie. And I think the main song sums up our day, "Everything is Awesome!"

No comments:

Post a Comment