Wednesday, December 11, 2013

So it Begins

Batman. Ok not Batman but he is a really cool superhero!

What is really beginning is a new season of our lives: Fostering/Adoption.

Chad and I have been working with Loving Houston Adoption Agency to become licensed as a foster-to-adopt family and we are just about through with the paperwork – the never ending paperwork. So yay! We got a call last week asking if we could provide respite care for a week for a sweet little girl who is about to turn 1 and we said yes. So on Friday we will open our house up for what will hopefully just be the first of many times to a child in need. Please be praying for us!

A little background on how we have reached this point: in college (why is it that so many things seem to find some kind of roots in college?) I got the privilege to  witness the awesome testimony to God’s greatness through families fostering and adopting and I knew one day God would have me do the same. So at the beginning of this year when I really started feeling God pulling my heart toward the orphans of this world, I did what any Christianity and Biblical language student from HBU would do, I started reading books:
            
            Adopted for Life by Russell Moore
            Orphanology by Tony Merida and Rick Morton
            Reclaiming Adoption by Dan Cruver, John Piper,  Scotty Smith and Richard Phillips
            Crazy Love by Francis Chan           
            Radical by David Platt

To name a few. And I started praying.

Well God always answers prayers and through some cool circumstances I learned about this ministry called Little Footprints. You can check them out here: www.littlefootprintscm.com. Chad and I really love the heart of Little Footprints and tentatively started going forward. We completed training in October and have been doing paperwork since to get licensed. And now we will have a little gal for a week.

Can I tell you – I am excited and terrified all at the same time. I don’t know what to expect and I must be crazy because I’m pregnant y’all and going to have 3 of my own soon. What where we thinking? We weren’t and aren’t we are just being obedient to what God is calling us to do. And maybe it will be a disaster and maybe my heart will be broken after falling in love with these littles who may one day be mine or may never be mine. But maybe I’ll fall more in love with my Jesus. And maybe my faith will be made stronger. And maybe I’ll bring a smile to my Father in Heaven because I dare to obey him and walk out in faith and join him in a work he is already doing to save the lives of these littles. I don’t know what to expect but I can say this I’m not afraid of falling. And its not because I believe the answer given in Batman Begins as to why we fall, you know the scence, “Bruce why do we fall? We fall so we can learn to pick ourselves up.” No. It’s because I believe what Jesus did for Peter (in Matthew 14:22-33) he will do for me when I fall, He will IMMEDIATELY grab hold of me. I can’t pick my self up and I'm so glad I don’t have to because I have a savior who loves me and will pick up.  

I know it’s long but the song, Oceans by Hillsong, has been really meaningful to me lately and if you listen to it or read the lyrics I think you’ll know why. So this is how I’m ending my post with a link to the youtube video because I'm still new to this blogging stuff and you got some paragraphs out of me this time - so be thankful :)


1 comment:

  1. Destiny, I feel the same way about this journey--excited and terrified all at the same time! It's funny how you bring up Matthew 14 because we were just studying that chapter in our women's Precept study at church and what really stood out to me was the use of the word "immediately." Jesus immediately comforted the disciples when they were afraid, and he immediately saved Peter when he was afraid. God is our ever present help. Thank you for the reminder. :)
    -Shaynee

    ReplyDelete